Yet unknown for the world, but known by the trekkers, in the north of Peru, near Cordillera Blanca, there is Cordillera Huayhuash – a spectacular mountain range which can be accessed only by foot.
The trek start from Huaraz only, but it can be organised from anywhere.
There are 2 main companies which operate this tour:
- Enjoy Huayhuash – which offers a very accessible price and good service, but with limited comfort, and
- Explore Andes – which for a considerable amount will bring you a 5 starts service in the middle of nothing.
- Or you can do it by yourself.
No matter the means you chose to do the trek, the nature is the same: speckles. I have no words to describe the beauty of this please.
The tour can be done between 8 -14 days, depending on your preference. Personally I did the 8 days trek hiking between 8 to 12 hours a day.
Some things to consider:
- The hiking season is mid April – October latest, after that it rains too much
- The trek is not for beginners. You have to be well acclimatized because for 8 days you will sleep at about 4000m and hike up till 5000m.
- You have to be in good physical condition because you hike up and down for about 8 hours daily.
- Get pills with you especially for fever and stomach problems.
- Have water purification pills just in case, and ensure the tour operator is aware you expect them to provide you water
- Expect it to be rough, sometimes cold, sometimes in a tend, expect wild nature which may treat you well or not
- Expect it to be tough – this wonderful landscape will charge a high toll for enjoying it.
Some pictures from each day: